Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Tuesday 13 March 2018

20mm Figure Comparison - vintage Napoleonic figures vs SHQ

Mark emailed me on the subject of size compatibility of various 20mm and "true 25mm" figures, so I have knocked up another of those strange green comparison photos. Since I often get involved in this kind of conversation (and since my view is as subjective as everyone else's!) I thought the pic might be of wider interest.


The particular thread in my correspondence with Mark has been how successfully SHQ/Kennington figures might blend in with (for example) Hinton Hunt. As the photo shows, I think, they match pretty well, though you have to beware of the occasional midget, such as the Spanish hussar marked with an asterisk - for some reason I never understood, all the Kennington Spanish Napoleonics are a bit small.

11 comments:

  1. This is a very useful comparison and does indeed show how different manufacturers figures look side to side.

    I agree that SHQ and Hinton do indeed match well.

    Thanks for taking the time to put one of your green figure 'montages'

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short lived NapoleoN were almost identical in many ways (size, style) to the 20mm Garrison range, though more detailed.

      Delete
    2. Rob - also the Falcata range - these were both deliberately 1/72 scale, so were intended to be the same size as modern plastics.

      Delete
    3. Weren't Falcata originally intended to be plastics?

      Delete
    4. Clive - I'd heard that - in fact it might be you that told me, which seems pretty authoritative to me! Certainly the range of poses and the way they sold them would possibly make more sense with plastic figures.

      Delete
  2. Another extremely helpful post, Foy. Many thanks.
    I don't think I've ever heard of Silver Cross. They look not have bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know much about them - I have a couple of oddments. Made at the Harrow Model Shop in the early 1970s by the guy who used to do the casting for Jacklex. I had a couple of Ancient Britains years ago. Not very detailed castings, but quite well proportioned.

      Delete
    2. That should be Ancient Britons, of course - got confused there.

      Delete
  3. As others have said, a very useful post. Thanks Tony.

    ReplyDelete