Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Friday 16 May 2014

Foy Gone to Pot?


Here's one I hadn't seen before. It's me, Max Foy!

This is a ceramic bust of me, manufactured in 1820 - which is after I'd retired from the army and become a prominent liberal politician, orator and effective leader of the opposition in the French Chamber of Deputies, but it is also before I died in 1825, so I guess this is a representation of me as I then was.

The bust is in the Musee Lorrain, in the Palais Ducal in Nancy. It is not there because I myself came from Nancy (I was born in the department of Somme), but because the piece was manufactured at Niderviller, in Lorraine. This is rather more jovial than I am customarily portrayed, so I have mixed feelings about it - perhaps it's sardonic? Anyway, I came across the picture by accident, while looking for something else entirely.

7 comments:

  1. But what we need to know is have you still got the mop of curls and sideburns??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, dear boy - they are not exactly mine, but I keep them in a drawer.

      Delete
  2. Uncanny, I find pictures of stuff on the internet by accident too...no, honestly I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's some snazzy cummerbund you're wearing there, M. Foy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I am reassured - some rude chap emailed to say that the full photograph would show fishnet stockings. Thank you for this.

      Delete
    2. I must also point out the very snazzy "m-notch" lapels, which were the very height of fashion in 1820. Anyone who ever suggested that ex-military Jocobin politicians were fuddy-duddies was well wide of the mark, I should say.

      Delete