Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Thursday 10 April 2014

Regimiento de Africa


And so it starts. The first 2-battalion regiment of the new 1809 extension to my Spanish army for the Guerra de la Independencia is based up and fitted with magnets, and waiting for its colonels and flags. Super paint job by Lee, as ever.

I'll set up some better pictures of this army as it develops. I hope to have mounted colonels ready in a few weeks.

An odd moment occurred as I was putting these chaps away in one of my box files (light blue for Spain). I have more files on order, so they are temporarily housed with the irregular cavalry, which may cause some outrage in the ranks. When I put them in this file, I was astonished to see that the magnets didn't work. A slow motion film would show me, stupidly, trying a few times to see if the properties of physics would suddenly start working again - like Eeyore putting his burst balloon in the honey pot. I even started to have some wild ideas that it wasn't working because it was the wrong box, and somehow the magnets knew. Eventually, of course, I realised that I must have run out of steel paper at some time, and this particular file was only half floored with the stuff, so all I had proved was that magnets don't stick to cardboard, which the world already knows. Except maybe Rod (private joke)...


In my own defence, I have to point out that it was pretty early in the morning, and I now have the kettle on for some coffee. It's good to have these experiences from time to time.

Anyway - Regto de Africa. I think the next up will be De la Reina. Thanks again, Lee. Oh yes, the figures are by NapoleoN (now OOP), and the colonels will be conversions.

As a complete digression, I was intrigued by this photo - does anyone understand this?


3 comments:

  1. The Spaniards look great. That last pic must have been published on April 1 surely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely paint job by Lee. He really does seem to be a good bloke. Regards the magnetic basing, I am glad I am not the only person out there!!!! Also, the fire crew seem to be more concerned with protecting their hose than derailing the train, level crossings really are a very dangerous places!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most excellent Fire Brigade photo!

    Standard Operating Procedures and optimism stand head to head with physics and an oncoming train. This is why the Fire Brigade are not allowed to drive trains :O)

    Kind regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete