Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Sunday 7 October 2012

ECW - Snip Snip


Very short post this afternoon. I thought I would come clean about another instance of an unspeakable practice - converting Hinton Hunt figures. The particular case in point is the ECW standard bearer.

I have never really cared for HH standard bearers with their cast flags - it's a personal thing. Mostly this is because I am not a good enough painter to paint a pleasing flag (I had some disastrous, embarrassing failures with ACW Union flags in my formative years), but it's also because the figure is very top-heavy, and has an inconveniently extended base, which impacts on unit spacings. So I snips em, don't I?

I remove the flag, shorten his base, clean up his shoulder and remodel the brim of his hat (the cast flag is integral with the hat), then drill out the bearer's hand and superglue a metal pole in place and the job is done. I've done this enough times now to be getting comfortable and quick with it, and I'm pleased with the results (although it will certainly earn me black marks in the Great Book of Hinton).

The example shown here is the Royalist CEW2, before and after, but the procedure is exactly the same for the Parliamentarian REW2. All complaints to Chateau Foy, please, on used £10 notes.

3 comments:

  1. You monster! You'll never buy brass wire in this town again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hack em up!

    Those 'flags' are thicker than some of the horses sometimes.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now let's get this clear - it's ok to convert Hinton Hunts into standard bearers where no cast-on version exists, but to cut up good models with flags, unspeakable. We know where you live...

    ReplyDelete