Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Tuesday 16 October 2012

ECW - Just One More...


I need to get the painting desk returned to its alternative role of living room bureau, so have been tidying up and putting the pots away. I took the opportunity - since it might be the last for a week or more - to paint another  general. Simplest paint job I've done in years, but I really like this little figure, which I was first introduced to by Clive a couple of years ago.

This is REW57, Hinton Hunt's super little Puritan Roundhead General on Foot. Could it be that old Marcus had a sense of humour after all? There will not be a lot of smiling in this man's army, thank you very much...

Dressed to kill - but the blackened armour top would be a nightmare in the sun, and the bucket-top boots are a potential disaster in heavy rain (even when turned down at the knee for such conditions). Fashions change, but, if I was presenting myself as a hard case, I'm not sure I'd put a cake doily around my neck.

However, I'm not going to tell him myself.

I don't know yet how - or if - I might use generals on foot. It makes sense that a staff group would be on foot, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of a brigadier - even an infantry one - marching in with his men. Maybe a held horse? Maybe a standard bearer, or an aide? I'll think about it. He can stay on the bottle top until I have a better idea how to base him.

9 comments:

  1. I've started putting some of my generals on foot, usually with a standing horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started putting some of my generals on foot, I usually stick a standing horse on the base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a good idea - I'll try to identify a suitable horse-holder - I think there's one in Old John's "subscription" extras.

      Delete
  3. Old school at its best! He does look rather dowdy all in brown, just a pure puritan should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paint job is so good you can't even see the lavender boxer shorts - just as it should be.

      Delete
  4. Oh he is severe! Lovely figure, lovely painting. I have had several generals on foot, all with horse holders near by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems a good approach - maybe the really senior guys can be dismounted, with a group of hangers-on.

      Delete
  5. A gem of a figure - do you have the Royalist one as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - mine is not quite such a good casting, but t'will clean up nicely, methinks.

      Delete