Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Sunday 14 October 2012

ECW - High-Ups #2


More of the same - this time Hinton Hunt's Royalist general figure. Here you see Sir Michael Earnley telling his men exactly where he wants the picnic lunch set out.

I am very fond of this classic little casting - I always have been. There is something about the styling and the poise that always puts me in mind of Alec Guinness as Charles I in the Cromwell movie - I can almost hear that Prime of Miss Jean Brodie accent. As ever, I find the Hintons hard to paint well - items like shoulder belts are kind of implied rather than obvious in the casting - too subtle for me? - but this chap is pleasing.

Overall, I'm not sure. I have a few HH general officer figures to paint, including the Roundhead one in the helmet. The figures are nice enough, but maybe a little bland - it's a personal thing (as always), but I like my generals to be definite personalities. And then there's the thing with Marcus Hinton's little legs...

Good so far - the Higgins chap is next.

2 comments:

  1. While #1 is undoubtedly a better model technically, I think #2 wins on charm. I like'm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charm is definitely a big criterion - I sometimes forget it, but become aware something is missing.

      Delete