Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 1 October 2012

ECW - the first Royalist unit of Horse


Finally got my new ECW cavalry unit based and provided with a suitable flag. Lee did his customary super job with the painting, so I am very pleased with them. I have a further two regiments of foot which are almost finished, and hope to get more units fettled and ready for painting by next weekend.

The cavalry figures are by Kennington/SHQ - I really like their ECW cavalry.

This is getting dangerously close to progress. There is a minimum size of army - anything too small and it seems like one of those "abandoned projects" one sees for sale on eBay. I would like to move fairly quickly to about 6 units of foot and (say) two of horse on each side, plus a couple of artillery units and the odd general. At that point it becomes a work in progress rather than a geeky and uncertain prototype. I also have a small resin mountain of very nice (15mm) period buildings from Hovels to paint, so I must get on with that as well.

Here's the new guys, anyway. More soon.

9 comments:

  1. I like Kennington - but I find their horse castings so awkward to clean that I often don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their ECW horses are a cut above their other period horses. I've quite a few of their Napoleonic horses, which sometimes have gaps in the casting and which include a strange pose which is somehow reminiscent of a camel walking. The SHQ ECW horses are so pleasing that I have made them a default house standard - quite a few Higgins, Hinton Hunt and Tumbling Dice cavalry figures are going to finish up mounted on SHQ in my armies.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Matt. Good to hear from you - hope you're continuing to make a good recovery.

      Cheers - Tony

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I'm not very fond of caricature-style figures, and these little SHQs have just a hint of Noggin the Nog about them, but they are charming - nothing grotesque!

      I read somewhere recently that ECW units of horse - especially newly-equipped ones with new buff coats (tanned in urine?) and festering saddle-sores on the horses - could be detected a couple of miles downwind. Not a good thought for tea-time, but it stuck in my mind!

      Delete
    2. Sounds very appealing, you'd certainly run in the opposite direction if they charged then!

      Delete
  4. They look very smart Tony. I've never owned any Kennington figures but those do have a certain charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian - my interest was first prompted by the fact that they are a decent size match for the Les Higgins and Hinton Hunt figures, but they also have merit in their own right. Their foot figures are maybe a little chunky, but I'll mix them in - they paint up well.

      Delete